In Nicholas Carr’s Is Google Making Us Stupid, he refers to how we use the internet for any service that we may need. He puts emphasis on how we/most people struggle reading a long passage just because the internet has made everything so simple. One search engine in particular that he is referring to is Google. “Google is striving to do the work for the human mind.” Carr feels as if the internet is making people lazy and slowly but surely a bit illiterate; so to say.
Has new media changed my style and habits of communicating and composing? Absolutely! From personal experience, I must admit that there have been incidents where I was supposed to read something and went straight to the internet because the passage was too long. Having the use of the internet at hand has made reading seem a little bit unnecessary to me but I know we still need to read. It has affected my composing skills because I know that once I type something into the search engine and it is grammatically incorrect, the search engine will go in and correct it. There have been times where I’ve been in class and have erased my paper because I’ve used lingo to spell a word. So there is not a doubt that the media has affect6ed my communicating and composing skills. Is it all bad? No. Having the use of media keeps me and everyone else informed of what is going on in today’s world. It is very easy for me to use my phone to check up on the war, political issues or whatever the case may be. So once we sit back and look at the bigger picture, the media has a good and negative aspect to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment